Melanie A. Sedlak
Member, Attorney at Law
Melanie’s practice focuses on criminal defense litigation, juvenile defense, and family law matters. In her seventeen years as a practicing attorney, Melanie has litigated thousands of cases in courts across Colorado – including sexual offenses, first degree murder offenses, organized drug and gang crimes, sexual offense against children, violent crimes, domestic violence crimes, economic crimes, and complex family law matters.
Melanie began her career as a Deputy State Public Defender. She later spent some time as an Assistant Attorney General and then entered private practice in 2005 where she continued her practice in criminal defense. In 2005, Melanie used her strong trial experience to also develop a family law practice. In 2010, Melanie merged her law practice with the firm, joining as a member.
Melanie’s primary experience is in representing individuals facing prosecution by the government and assisting individuals with collateral family law matters. Her roster of clients is wide-ranging and includes individuals accused of misdemeanor and felonies or those facing difficult family situations. Melanie has taken hundreds of cases to jury trial and has litigated hundreds of family law disputes, to include administrative appeals. Melanie’s criminal and civil experience is in State court and she accepts cases in Weld, Larimer, Adams, Morgan, and Logan counties.
Melanie firmly believes that all people must be zealously and passionately represented in court and she uses her strong courtroom presence to successfully litigate criminal and family law cases throughout many jurisdictions in Colorado.
- Criminal Defense, all felonies and misdemeanors (including, sex offenses, domestic violence offenses, white collar property crimes, juvenile offenses, and violent crimes)
- Domestic Relations (including all aspects of family law and dependency and neglect cases)
- St. Mary’s University, San Antonio, Texas, J.D. 2000
- Westmont College, Santa Barbara, California, B.A., 1993
- State of Colorado, 2000
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2005
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar (former Board member)
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar: Weld County Chapter Head
- Colorado Bar Association