Kim R. Houtchens
Kim has practiced with the firm since 1975. His practice focuses on trial work, including general civil litigation, insurance defense, and family law.
Kim has handled serious personal injury lawsuits, representing both people who are injured (Plaintiffs) and people against whom claims are made (Defendants). He has handled a number of major personal injury jury trials including trials involving wrongful death and serious permanent brain injuries.
Kim’s domestic relations practice has for some time concentrated on high-income/high-asset cases including complex maintenance and property valuation issues involving significant business valuations.
Kim understands the costs and risks of litigation, and this allows him to assist his clients to successfully settle their cases without trial, and to continue to trial when that is necessary.
Kim devotes substantial time to community endeavors. Kim incorporated A Woman’s Place, Inc. (Greeley’s domestic violence shelter) and was legal advisor and a member of the initial Board of Directors. Kim served for some time as legal advisor for Greeley-area Habitat for Humanity, and participates in other community activities such as spending time working at the Weld County Food Bank. Kim holds the AV peer review rating from Martindale Hubbell, the pre-eminent attorney rating system relied upon by attorneys, companies large and small, and the public. The AV rating is the highest peer-reviewed rating signifying that Kim’s peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence.
In 2017, Kim retired from the active practice of law, and will soon become of counsel with the firm. Kim can still be reached at the firm, either by telephone or by email, and can be contacted to provide appropriate referrals to other partners in the firm for the handling of legal matters.
- General Civil Litigation, Including Personal Injury/li>
- Insurance Defense
- Domestic Relations
- University of Nebraska, BSBA 1972
- University of Nebraska, JD 1974
- Finalist for Colorado Bar Association Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year
- Served as President of the Weld County Bar Association
- Served as Member and Co-Chair of 19th Judicial District Judicial Performance Commission
- Received Frank Henderson Professionalism Award from the Weld County Bar Association in 2011
- Recipient of highest peer review rating (AV) from Martindale Hubbell